Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 12:45:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        portmaster-users@livingston.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   data caching

Hello,

This might be a stupid question, and if it is, I apologize.  I have a
Portmaster PM-2e20 for my terminal server, and all of our machines run
FreeBSD, most with 2.2.1-Release right now, which is why I'm posting to
both lists.

What I would like to know is this:

We have a small dedicated line right now, 128k FR, but we have usually
around 15-20 users on during peak times.  Since our line technically can't
handle that many simultaneous users pulling data at 28.8+, is there a way
to use the line more efficiently by caching all data going into and out
our line.

What I'm basicaly saying is that since modems pull at, say average 4k/sec,
is there a way for all data to be dumped into cache either on the
portmaster or on one of our machines so that the data can get to us faster
and the line can go on to getting something else, while having the users
pull at a nice rate since now the data is local.  The data will get dumped
locally faster, and that will allow something else to go or come over the
line instead of trying to carry 20 simultaneous pulls for each of the
users, while trying to handle mail and the various web hosts we have.  I
know apache can cache data for the html transfers, but I don't know of
anything that might be able to do this, if there is such a thing.

Thanks in advance for any answers you have.

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net