Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:01:18 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@niksun.com>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Subject:   Re: dhclient taking all cpu

--X3gaHHMYHkYqP6yf

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 03:54:58PM -0400, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 July 2005 03:10 pm, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > I think I've found it.  There was a really odd typo (=3D instead of
> > +) in the code that handles undersized captures on the bpf socket.=20
> > Please try the following patch and see if it solves the problem.=20
> > I'm testing here, but I don't have a reliable way to trigger the
> > bug.  The fix is fairly obvious so I'll commit it to head shortly.
>=20
> Good catch!  It seems to fix my 'infinite loop' problem.
>=20
> One more problem to solve...  I have to do the following to make=20
> bge(4) working correctly at boot time:
>=20
> ifconfig_bge0=3D"up DHCP"
>=20
> Without `up', dhclient fails like this:
>=20
> bge0: link state changed to DOWN
> bge0: no link .............. giving up
> bge0: flags=3D8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> 	options=3D1a<TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
> 	ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> 	media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
> 	status: no carrier
>=20
> because bge(4) does not change link state while the interface is down. =
=20
> This problem is more serious with wireless driver because link=20
> doesn't go up until it is associated with some AP.
>=20
> I was always wondering which is correct.  Do we have to update link=20
> state while interface is down or not?

The interface shouldn't really be doing anything if it isn't up.  I'm
tempted to change the code to always "ifconfig <ifn> up" interfaces
configured for DHCP.  Longer term (7.x) I may change things to that's
all etc/rc.d/netif does for DHCP interfaces.  There are a number of
issues to work out before that's feasiable though so I'm not doing
anything other then pondering at this point.

-- Brooks

--=20

--X3gaHHMYHkYqP6yf

--X3gaHHMYHkYqP6yf--