Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:15:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Fluffy -- The Other White Meat <fluffy@vszbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A "feature request", maybe...?

On 5 Oct 1998, Joe Greco wrote:

> I'd like, in some instances, to be able to avoid the default UNIX IP
> behaviour of grabbing the "closest interface" address when connecting
> to a remote host with TCP (or UDP for that matter).  There are some
> times when I know a better address to use, but would rather not have
> to modify lots and lots of userland code to specifically do a bind()
> of the socket to the particular address that I'd really like to use.

YES!!@!  I was just wondering how I could do this painlessly this
last week, as I prepared to move one of my machines seamlessly from
one IP address to another, while still retaining limited compatibility
with those laggards who haven't yet updated their configuration to use
the new IP address.

I'd use it.

Barry Bouwsma
(do not attempt to ajust your mailreader to reply by e-mail, none for me)