Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 17:58:12 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new tool: portupgrade

At Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:34:39 -0800,
David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 07:19:54AM +0900, Akinori MUSHA wrote:
> > I wrote a handy tool to upgrade already installed packages with the
> > latest ports, called <portupgrade>.  It's still far from finished
> > (error handling, recursive upgrades, etc.), but it has achieved my
> > primary goal.
>
> How does this compare with pkg_update?

Portupgrade upgrades ports.  And as it does in somewhat an "illegal"
way to do the job (i.e. it does something out of the ports/packages
framework), I have completely no intention of putting it into the
system.  The fact that it's written in Ruby is also a good reason not
to do that. :>

I'll write some more useful tools in addition, but they are just meant
to be a workaround until the openpackages framework, which is
naturally supposed to provide the updating facilities, is realized.

P.S.

By the way, it's a shame that even pkg_version hasn't still been
implemented correctly (i.e. it still doesn't compare version numbers
the way the Porter's Handbook says) although someone (it's me ;) had
submitted a patch long time ago.  I don't push that any more, but
doesn't anyone really care?

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"