Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 14:27:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>
Cc:        info@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from DOS partition (affraid to loose long names...)

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Fernando Schapachnik wrote:

> The *.TXT files instruct to create a FREEBSD directoy on
> the hard drive.
> How do I prevent file names for breaking at 8 characters and loosing its
> case when I FTP from the Unix machine to the DOS machine?

You don't!

Fortunately, the gurus named all the files in the distribution using DOS's
8/3 filenaming scheme. As for the case, no need to worry - DOS is not case
sensitive.  The installation program will find all the files if you put
them in the right places. i.e.:

C:\freebsd\bin\bin.aa
C:\freebsd\bin\bin.ab
C:\freebsd\bin\bin.ac, etc.

    / \  / \ / | / \    / \    University of Washington  ()
    | | / / / /  |  \   | |      Chemical Engineering    /\
    | |\ \ \ \   | |  \   |  I bask in my own insignificance.