Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 07:34:03 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comment about verbose booting

    dk> said:

> > If your're asking me, the identification of the VGA chips is
> > something which should be killed, it doesn't belong in the kernel.
> > You can do that from userland, there is no need to stuff potentially
> > unlimited number of ascii-strings into the kernel, in particular
> > considering that it doesn't use them after having printed one of
> > them at boot.
>
> But we'll have ELF kernels soon enough, so theoretically we could put
> all of that stuff in its own section and then release the memory after
> boot.
>
> Isn't that what Terry is always flaming about?
>
> -GAWollman

Don't joke...  It's not all that difficult - the main problem is one of
fragmentation and the memory impact if we keep skipping page boundaries to
avoid bloating the kernel image (or .o or .so).  Trynig to reclaim a page
in the middle of chunks of in-use data isn't fun.

One possibility is if it ends up in a plaintext file in /boot somewhere as
part of a control mechanism for assigning a driver.o file to a pci or pnp
device id or a mapping between a probe module and a driver itself.

Yes, /boot could work on a NFS mount for diskless support or on a dos or
cdrom partition.

Cheers,
-Peter