Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 02:35:49 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Nathan Lawson <nlawson@statler.csc.calpoly.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ownership of files/tcp_wrappers port

  From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
  Paul Traina wrote:

  > Likewise, with eBones, we've hacked the sources to the point that its now a
  > HUGE job to upgrade to patch level 10.  I know this, because I started it
  > and gave up in disgust 2 months ago.

  Please send me the patches, and I'll do it. I have some leave right now.

They're gone...sorry, I shit-canned eBones/kerberos here in favor of ssh.
You'll have to gen a copy of the patches by hand by using a copy of the pl9
and pl10 distributions, since ted never posted patches (you might ask him
if he has done so since, tytso@mit.edu).

  > Let me state, completely, my objections to adding the tcp wrapper code:
  >
  > 	(a) there are several similar competing bits of code out there
  > 	    that do similar things -- wrappers is not the only way to go

  None of them in regular use, and none as well-trusted (ubiquitous) as
  tcp_wrappers. None even in ports.

Oh that's not true, xinetd is in regular use,  but for the sake of an
arguement, I'll give you 1/2 credit.

  > 	(b) it's already trivial for a user to add this support into the
  > 	    base system should they desire it

  Sorta. I have seen some badly fouled up inetd.conf's with either
  total lossage (didn't work after being maimed) or massive security
  holes from misunderstanding. This is really a doumentation problem.
  we need a wrappers/general security section in the handbook.

Either you're going to edit our /etc/inetd.conf to enable this stuff by
default or you're going to document it.  Which is it Mark?  If the earlier,
then you're going to screw people who don't want it to behave the way you
set it up, and if the later, how is this different than documenting it properly
in the handbook and pointing them at the port?

  > 	(c) incorporating it into the base system means more work to support,
  > 	    test, debug, and maintain the code

  Has to happen in ports anyway? Ok - not to tha same degree, and I would
  fiercly agree with you if the software under consideration was undergoing
  rapid development A-La NCFTP-2 or Lynx. The small size of this software
  is attractive, and its stability means it does not change often enough to
  be a PITA.

OK, so you're going to sign up to do this for the life of FreeBSD, thank
you for volenteering, now given the average lifetime of contributing
developers, that means we have support for ~2 years.  Humm.

  > 	(d) the wrapper changes duplicate much of the access logging and
  > 	    control we have already included directly in the system

  They also focus the same, usually in better detail. In fact wrappers
  are a _great_ source of logging information, and configurable from
  one place, too. In our last two breakins, wrapper logs nailed the
  culprit, and wrapper logs are great if your legacy system does not
  have decent accounting. One-file control of TCP access is darn
  useful.

Great, then use them!  I have no objection to you using the wrapper port
on your system,  I think it's a fantastic idea if you like them.  As far
as better detail, I certainly beg to differ.  The logging that ftpd, finger,
login, and friends do is far better because they have access to the application
layer information that tcpd is not privy to.  tcpd can only log connection
attempts.

Don't get me wrong, tcpd is GREAT when you have a binary only system like
that garbage the "professional" unix vendors sell (harumph),  but it doesn't
hold a candle to real logging.

  > 	(e) they don't cover the case of UDP programs

  True.

  > If you can address these issues, then I will withdraw my objections.

  80%? ;-)

15% :-)

Let's separate the issue here,  perhaps we can come to some sort of
compromise.  I would have little if any objection to putting optional
calls to libwrap into our existing code in the same fashion we do stuff
with with other optional parts of the system.  In other words, if you
wanted to add access control checking to YP or NFSD, and you put in
conditional code that is only invoked if /usr/local/lib/libwrap.a is
present, I won't barf all over my feet.

Reasonable compromise?