Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 12:51:35 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Khairuddin Abdul Ghani <abdulgha@usc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named errors (was Re: assigning two C IP blocks to one machine)

Khairuddin Abdul Ghani wrote:

> Hi, again! Thanks for all the help, esp. to Crist and Doug. it seems that my
> settings were correct after all, just that those people on the other side
> didn't actually do what they were supposed to with the IP's.
>
> Anyhow, there are other things I'm concerned about, which are the error
> messages that named produces while loading, something about not being able
> to open enough files. Here're the log entries:
>
> -- snip snip --
> May 14 01:35:54 sage named[36092]: starting.  named 8.2.2-P5-NOESW Sun May
> 14 01:17:55 PDT 2000
> May 14 01:35:54 sage named[36092]: limit files set to fdlimit (1024)
> May 14 01:35:55 sage named[36092]: fcntl(dfd, F_DUPFD, 20): Too many open
> files

	By default named binds to every interface on your machine. This opens
file descriptors for every interface too, which leads to rapidly running
out of them. There are two solutions. One is to have named bind to only
the interfaces you need through changes to the named.conf file. The
second (which you should probably do anyway) is to increase the MAXUSERS
value in your kernel config. I would say that conservatively you should
double it from what it is now. Triple it if you are going to have named
bind to every interface. Make sure you have at least 128M of ram in the
box, and I'd say that 256M is a better choice.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire