Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:53:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 + Mach64 = no X

Hello!

This seemms like somethign for this group.

I have the above two pieces of equipment - a grand-spanking-new ASUS
P55T2P4 with a P133 in it, and a Mach64 GX video card that was in my old
motherboard, a SiS 54P.

The problem I'm having is that when X exits and goes from graphics
(800x600x16) to text mode, FreeBSD panics.  The console is dead so I don't
have the panic output, but I'm planning on making a serial console kernel
so I pick this info up.  The machine works fine otherwise, even with both
60ns and (supposedly) 70ns RAM.  :)

I've pulled out everything (being a NCR SCSI controller, GUS PnP, & a 3Com
3c900) and twiddled varios BIOS settings without any change.  I have a
pre-CT Mach64 w/ 2MB of DRAM (vs. 2MB VRAM) that I want to try.

I'm on X 3.2 using the Mach64 server.

Other note -- i can't boot DOS anymore either, it pops up the 'Starting
MS-DOS', then the scren goes grey then the display turns off.

Odd.  :-/

Someone mentioned to me that the ASUS boards have a bad interaction with
the mach64 -- can anyone back this up?

Thnx for any insight.