Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:52:45 -0700
From:      "Shin'ichiro Seto/OTESS, Inc." <mluser01@otess.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who for Apache

Thank you for a quick response.

At PM 11:49 04/23/98 +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> If your page needs a username and password to get in - strangers aren't
> going to be able to get the page anyway are they?!
>
> If you do use the mod_auth - you will need to provide usernames and
> passwords to all the people who you want to have access to your page...
>
> If they don't have a valid username (I think you might be able to get away
> with 'no password') - they won't be able to see your page either! - They
> would have to know at least the username in advance...
>
> Maybe your getting this confused with logging who's visited your site??

It doesn't seem like that I explained what I'd like to do correctly.

This is an example:
I have a regular web site that has a private portion, something like
a user support bulletin board. The bulletin board is strictly for our
clients. The username and password will be given to clients by CGI
( htpwd etc. ) or E-mail. I don't want crackers get into the bulletin
board. So, I'd like to make a program that will scan usernames based on
htpwd ( not /etc/passwd ) who are visiting the page.

> You can find out how to do logging, passwords & usernames - and bunch more
> by going to http://www.apache.org

I will check that page from the begining.

Thanks again,

| Shin'ichiro Seto               | E-Mail:  sseto@OTESS.COM      |
| Open TEchnology SolutionS, Inc.| URL:     http://www.otess.com |
| 23272 Mill Creek Dr. Suite 220 | Tel:     714-951-6600 ext105  |
| Laguna Hills, CA 92653         | Fax:     714-951-6700         |