Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:40:50 +1000
From:      August Simonelli <augusts@gmail.com>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <donaldj@ameritech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: uname -v shows no difference after buildkernel and installkernel etc

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:32:19 +1000, August Simonelli <augusts@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:11:47 -0500, Donald J. O'Neill
> <donaldj@ameritech.net> wrote:
> > August,
> >
> > I've been following this thread today. It's very interesting. It appears
> > to me, you mentioned your mistake in your first post.
> >  "did a mergemaster and didn't accept any changes (it was a fresh
> >  system) rebooted and logged in"
> > Without accepting those changes, you kept what you had. It wasn't a
>
> This is what is confusing me about mergemaster. Isn't it "just" for
> comparing and deciding which config files one wants kept? That is, if
> I have a modifed pkgtools.conf or rc.conf or whatever I should be able
> to merge it up with the newly rebuilt system (which would have fresh
> versions of such files). Or I could just tell it to keep my old config
> files cause they have all my modifications. I do get that the new conf
> files may have changes we need, so merging is better. Now, why am i
> babbling about this? Cause when doing the mergemaster on this system
> my fingers got really fat and I'm not sure how I answered. Maybe this
> lead to my problem. Would that cause a) the wrong kernel to be
> installed or just b) the wrong kernel to be reported (ie did i screw
> up the update of the file that stores the kernel details?).
>
> Also, just for clarification, it WAS a fresh system, so, in theory,
> mergemaster would not have had any changes to make (except if it
> updates some text string somwhere that is the basis for the uname -v,
> as in my  and b options above).
>
> Sorry if this is painfully ignorant; I'm learning slowly! :-)
>
> > fresh system and needed the information from mergemaster. If you didn't
> > clear out /usr/obj, it might be possible to rerun mergemaster and
> > accept the changes. I would keep MYCUSTOM somewhere other
> > than /root/kernels. Personally, I use /home/save4rebuild, and keep a
> > copy of everything else I think I might need. I've had to
> > reinstall /, /var, /tmp, /usr, but I always manage to keep /home safe.
>
> This seems to be what most people are saying ... and i think it makes
> more sense. I have officially adopted save4rebuild for my systems! :-)
>
> back to me rebuild (celeron 433 is a bit sloooow).

well, the rebuild has worked fine. i think my symlinking was indeed
messed up. i followed everyone's advice and didn't use a symlink; I
kept my custom config in the same location as GENERIC and just copied
it elsewhere for backup purposes.

one last question for those tracking the this thread: can i now delete
the custom kernel config file i created in /usr/src/sys/i386/src/ ? or
does the system need it there to boot? i would guess not, more that
the file is only used in building and installing ...

thanks again for all the good advice ...

august