Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:27:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 AHA1542's in one box

> Hi
>
> Does anyone have any experience in putting 2 AHA1542 cards into one
> box?
>
> I tried this and have had no luck. Here is the saga:
>
> The first card is set to factory default and is an AHA1542C. The
> second has been moved to Port 0x240 DRQ 6 IRQ 9 and is an AHA1542B.
> After lots of fun-and-games while I actually got the card's strapping
> right :-), I can get the 1542C ^A-BIOS to do a diagnostic run on both
> cards and to probe for devices on both cards.
>
> Now - the first card works just fine. The second probes OK during
> FreeBSD boot, but hangs solid during the "waiting for SCSI devices
> to settle" pause. I have checked _everything_. The terminators are
> OK, the card works (strapped to factory default) in another machine,
> There are no DRQ/PORT/IRQ conflicts.
>
> The motherboard is a Megabyte G486 with an i486DX/50 and 16MB of RAM.

Other than to say that I did this once, and had it running under 2.0.5R with
no apparent problems, I can offer no real assistance other than to reassure
you that a 1542B and 1542C can happily coexist in the same box.  Never
thought to try to access the 1542B's bus with the 1542C's BIOS though.

486DX/33, 32MB RAM, AHA-1542B, AHA-1542C, lots of disks, R.I.P.
ISA-bus-based news servers (got too big)  :-/  Worked well for a long time.

... JG