Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:28:29 +1000
From:      Christopher Smith <csmith@its.uq.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell PowerVault

We are looking to setup a sorta-redundant pair of servers for a student
computer lab, consisting of a pair of 2650s and a Dell PowerVault
stuffed full of drives.  The idea is to have all data related storage
on the PV (home dirs, squid cache, etc) which will be shared between
the two machines.  In Case Of Emergency (tm) either machine should be
able to access whatever it is the now-broken machine was using
previously.

Firstly, does anyone have any experience with the PowerVaults ?  Do
they need any special driver support (and does FreeBSD have it) ?  It's
somewhat unclear to me based on Dell's website whether or not the
enclosure itself has RAID capability in it, or if it is up to the HBAs
in the machines themselves to do the RAID.  I am assuming I'll be able
to configure the PowerVault as one big chunk of space, partition it up.
plug a cable from each machine into it and mount the various partitions
on either box (as long as only ones tries to mount r/w at any given
time).  Is this how it works ?
--
+- Christopher Smith, Systems Administrator
|  Server & Security Group, Information Technology Services
   |
|  The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, 4072

+- Ph +61 7 3365 4046 | email csmith@its.uq.edu.au | Fax +61 7 3365
4065 -+