Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 99 11:11 +0100
From:      Justin Murdock <justin@csad.coventry.ac.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to install bdf fonts

> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Stan Brown wrote:

> > 	I need to install some .bdf fonts provided by a vendoe of a control
> > 	system, so that I can disply thier application on my FreeBSD box.

> > 	Can someone clue me in as to how to do this? Or point to appropriate
> > 	docs?

> A .bdf is a PostScript font.  I think there is a PostScript->X font
> converter in the ports tree, but I'm not sure.

I think you're thinking of .pfb (postscript font binary), which need no
special treatment.

however there is mention of

bdftopcf  - convert X font from Bitmap Distribution Format
       to Portable Compiled Format

You have 2 choices once you have converted the files to pcf,

1) install globally
2) or not.

if you install globally, put your converted pcf fonts into one of the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ directories (I'd suggest misc), otherwise
put them where ever you want.

Run mkfontdir wherever you put them. (You may choose to make a backup
of fonts.dir before running mkfontdir. this allows you to compare the
before and after files to see what's been added)

If you've gone for the gloabal approach the X server will need to be
notified:
% xset fp rehash

If you've put them somewhere else, you need to use:
% xset +fp <your location>

verify installation with xfontsel

SEE ALSO
pfb2pfa(1), mkfontdir(1), xfontsel(1)