Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:04:29 +0200
From:      "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@kompas-media.nl>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gimp-print driver for Epson

Hello there,
This issue has been bothering me for a couple of weeks now, and for the time
being I implemented a Linux solution. I can't get my Epson Stylus Color 1520
to print properly through FreeBSD. Since it's possible on Linux (I'm running
SuSE 7.3 now, on which it all came preinstalled), I want to do it on FreeBSD
because that's clearly my OS of choice. My problems are as follows:

I try to compile the gimp1 port, which fails with type 1 errors no matter
what I do to it. I even totally reinstalled the system from scratch (FreeBSD
4.4 Release and 4.5 Release). Both had the same problem. CVSupping the ports
didn't help. So I tried the manual route..

I downloaded the sources to the Gimp, GTK+, Cups, Ghostscript, Gimp Print,
autoconf, gmake and a few more dependencies that I don't exactly recall
right now. Point is, compiling and installing the Gimp works, but trying to
subsequently compile Gimp Print fails because the configure script doesn't
detect my Gimp installation. I haven't gotten further than this, so there
may just as well be tons of other showstoppers waiting for me but this is
what I have.

I'm very surprised that it's such an easy thing to do on Linux. Does anyone
have a Stylus 1520 working?? I'd really really like to put mine to work as a
postscript printer for my Mac and Windows clients on the network..

Thanks in advance for any information..

Bas

PS. I don't have any error outputs available since I had to reformat and
install Linux for the time being. I really need this machine to work..