Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:25:16 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@FreeBSD.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AES-GCM/Hardware crypto for Octeon

On Jun 25, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Joe Holden wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> Is the hardware crypto used by OpenCrypto/OpenSSL on the Octeon Plus =
range?  Other than specifying cryptodev engine, is there a way to make =
sure that it's being used?
>=20
> Also, according to the Cavium product brief, the coprocessor supports =
AES-GCM, I can't work out if it's actually supported in OpenSSL as the =
patches seem to be geared towards Intel's hardware assisted variant - is =
this supportable on the current tree, or will it require extra =
patches/work (perhaps upstream?)

The Cavium crypto support is done as part of the open crypto framework. =
OpenSSL uses the open crypto framework to offload crypto calculations. =
The cavium coprocessor is used inside the open crypto framework in the =
kernel. It isn't used like intel's AES instructions in userland.

Looking at the code, it appears we'd support using the Cavium =
Coprocessor in user space. However, a quick peek at the OpenSSL code in =
the tree today suggests that the MIPS optimized versions of the various =
crypto functions don't use the cavium coprocessor.

I believe Cavium has patches to OpenSSL available on their cnusers.org =
web site that could be used to update the code in the FreeBSD tree, but =
I haven't looked closely lately at that stuff since the opencrypto =
support is plenty fast for my needs.

Warner