Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:02:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Matthew Hagerty <mhagerty@voyager.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>

> This is old.  The guys running the tests blew it in so many ways
> that you might as well have just rolled some dice.  There's a slashdot
> article on it too, and quite a few of the reader comments on these
> bozos are correct.  I especially like comment #41.  Don't worry,
> FreeBSD stacks up just fine in real environments.

If the programmers who wrote that software used poll() on FreeBSD 4.2,
then I'd say that they need to RTFM and learn about kernel queues and
accept filters.  Not to mention that anyone using a kernel "out of the
box" needs to be larted.

Personally, I think that article casts more doubt on the authors than on
FreeBSD...

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division

Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence