Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:20:09 -0500
From:      "Mike Semcheski" <jimmyjump77@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw and natd

Hello,
I am sure this is a question that comes up a lot, but I have not been able
to find the answer, so I am posting to this mailing list.

Here's my situation:
Right now, I have a FreeBSD 4.2 box with two NIC's.  fxp0 is hooked up via
crossover to a Win2k box.  tl0 is hooked up (via a long cat-5) to my DSL
router.  I have a static IP (go Speakeasy!).  I am running among other
things, ipfw, natd and named.  The Win2k's primary DNS is the FreeBSD box.
Win2k can resolve names with no problem, and can also ping tl0 with no
problem.  The FreeBSD box is on the network, and can reach the outside
world.  The Win2k box can resolve a name but can not access it.  To me,
either natd is not aliasing this connection correctly or ipfw is blocking
its connections.  I have tried a lot of different rules for ipfw, I have not
put a lot into setting up natd (other than natd_enable="yes"
natd_interface="fxp0" and natd_flags="-log -dynamic".
I use firewall_type="open".  I have net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=1, and
firewall_logging="yes".

For what all that is worth, I was wondering if anyone had some rules or
other configs that might get this to work.  My eventual goal is to get a
similar setup working at work and somehow add a rule to IPSec all the
connections between work and home, but first things first, I need to get
ipfw and natd working at home.  If someone has a similar setup and rules
that work, I would love to see them, or if there are any points I am not
aware of, I would love to see them.  I have tried a lot of different
combinations, read lots of pages from the web, and lots of man pages, and I
just can not get this working.  Anyone able to help me?

Thanks,
Mike