Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 17:36:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Shane Hagan <shane_64@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I did it!

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Shane Hagan wrote:

> I finally got bsd to load.  I decided to buy the 4.0 power pack and install
> it on a box that has a Cyrix 133, 300mb of ram, Lynksys NIC, and Seagate 2
> gig hard drive.  I also installed X windows I wanted to see what it looked
> like in comparison to windows.  Right now I only have the default X window
> up right now.
After you did the XF86 Configuration, you should have been presented
with menu choices to configure either KDE or Gnome as your desktop.
I think these are not real obvious, so you may have missed them.

My suggestion is that you go to a VTY window (Control_Alt_F1) and
login as root and run /stand/sysintall again. You will have to
choose "Configuration" and do the XF86 installation again, after
which it will ask you about desktop environments. I'd recommend KDE,
because it seems to work perfectly on FreeBSD, whereas I think (and
I may be out of date on this) that the Gnome implementation is less
complete on FreeBSD.

That will automate the process for you of installing a desktop.
When you become more proficient, you can change to another
window manager like fvwm, if you prefer.

I poked around a bit trying to find a way to get to this menu choice
without going through the X config, but I didn't find it. Maybe someone
else can comment on this?

  I am going to dig into the ports and find something more
> suitable for my tastes.  Anyways enough of the small talk lets get down to
> what I am writing for.  I am looking for books or any other papers on unix
> commands and any other tips for free BSD.

file:/usr/share/doc/handbook/handbook.html

  I am planning on get a new box
> and installing free bsd on it.  Can I network my Windows machines through
> free BSD?

man natd
man rc.firewall

Also, you will need "options IPDIVERT" and "options IPFIREWALL"
in your kernel.

In the following, substitute the name of your machine for "YOURHOST".

Go to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf. Cp GENERIC YOURHOST Open up this file
in your favorite editor and add "options IPFIREWALL" and
"options IPDIVERT" after the existing list of options. Then exit the
editor. Type "config YOURHOST". Type "cd ../../YOURHOST" and type
"make depend", then "make".

This will compile a new kernel with firewalling. When it is done,
do this from the YOURHOST directory (where you should be when it's done).

mv /kernel /kernel.save
mv kernel /

reboot

You will need to have 2 network cards in your computer. Let's
call them ed0 and ed1 for giggles. ed0 goes to the internet,
ed1 goes to the internal LAN with the Windoze boxes. Substitute
your actual device names in the following.

Edit /etc/rc.conf.
Look at the lines that say "ifconfig" and refer to your network
card. Make a second set for your second card but use an address
in the 10. address range (10.0.0.1 is good). Set the IP addresses
of your Windoze boxes to 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, whatever. Set their
gateway to 10.0.0.1.

back in /etc/rc.conf..

firewall_enable="YES
firewall_type="open"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="edo"
gateway_enable="yes'

(later on, you can play with changing the firewall type to "simple"
and edit rc.firwall to make it play the tune you want. For now, this
will allow you to use your machine. The first time I did this I chose
"simple" and it came up in the default "deny everything" mode and
I couldn't get any packets into or out of the machine 8-( .)

This will allow any machines connected to the 10. card in your
FreeBSD box to seem as if they are directly on the internet.
Caution! Your FreeBSD box will be on the internet. I suggest
your edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment out services that you are
not using. RPC stuff is probably a good candidate, maybe ftp?
If this is a 4.1 box, turn off telnet and use a Windoze ssh
client to log into your unix box.

 One more question before I go is am I better of running X windows
> or just running from a shell or prompt (I am not sure of the terminology)?
> When I installed I used the auto configuration for the formatting of the
> hard drives.  In which situations do I need to do this manually?

Your option. Running in a shell is much faster and capable of
getting a lot more done both in scope and speed. Running in a desktop
environment is a lot easier for most people. My suggestion is to
install your desktop as above, then start playing around inside
an xterm window and learning the ropes of the command line
interface. Modern shells are extremely powerful and one can
always do some very good work in perl, tcl, sed, awk... etc.

Hope I didn't leave anything out. If you run into trouble, someone
on this list should be able to help. Please state your problems
clearly so we can help 8-) .

Good Luck..

Jim Durham