Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:54:50 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Mike DeGraw-Bertsch" <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org>, "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, "Fergus Cameron" <cameron@argus-systems.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hotmail _still_ runs FreeBSD!

Terry writes:

> Then look around, and find one where it is
> more identifiable.

I have, and I have found nothing.

> I've already probided you with URLs to the effect
> that the trademark symbol in the image on ".NET"
> is readily identifiable.

I looked at them, and could not identify the mark to which you appear to be
referring.

> Luckily, we are looking at the regular use of
> the terms ".NET" and "Passport" with respect to
> a Microsoft service offering, and Microsoft
> is a U.S. company.

Yes, and so the normal procedure would be to register the trademark only
after it has been properly and continuously used for some significant period
of time.

> What you describe as the requirement is the
> behaviour I claim Microsoft is exhibiting.

I know.  The problem is that you have provided no evidence for your claim.

> I looked at the other reference I posted, as
> you obviously haven't. It is clearly an (R).

It isn't clearly anything.  In fact, upon very close examination, it appears
to be part of the letter "t," and not a separate symbol at all.  However,
even in the "large" GIF to which you refer, the symbol, if any, is only two
pixels across--far too small to distinguish the glyph that might have
produced it.

> Note that the registration is on the word,
> not the image, as it has seperate symbols
> for both words.

I don't see a recognizable bug for either.

I suspect that what is actually intended is either Microsoft(R) .NET for
text, or Microsoft(R) .NET(tm) for the text/logotype and the
logotype--probably the former.

> My best guess is that the registration tagging
> is premature on their part ...

You should not guess; that's what started this thread in the first place.

> ... but the information about the status of the
> registration may be dated, since the USPTO states
> that the information on their site may lag reality.

A third possiblity is that you are simply incorrect.