Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 99 11:36 +0100
From:      Justin Murdock <justin@csad.coventry.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X server has "too many" colors?

> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Stan Brown wrote:

>> 	I am trying to run a vendor supplied X task displaying on my FreeBSD
>> 	machine. My FreeBSD machine is configured for 64K colors. The app keeps
>> 	core dumping :-(

> I've heard of this, but it was years ago.  I usually run 1024x768x16 since
> I keep getting stuck with 2MB cards.  Thankfully everyone fixed their apps
> to work in 16 bit color and haven't had a problem since, but  you know how
> many old legacy apps are floating about.

Bear in mind that colour cycling doesn't work in true colour modes :(

You do have the option of running X at only 8bpp, if this app is all
that you're going to use in the session. Finally, you could get a `real'
unix machine - the X servers for these usually have pseudo-color visual.
Or at least they used to.

Justin