Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 95 23:48 WET
From:      uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WangDAT & FreeBSD strangeness

[0]I recently (and am still) going through a rather agonizing migration
[0]of a SCO UNIX system to FreeBSD 2.0.5.
[0]
[0]Apart from lots of issues with SCSI hardware that SCO took in stride and
[0]FreeBSD hated ("unknown board" errors for an Adaptec 1540A, which is one
[0]of the non-thru-hole, 2nd generation surface-mount boards,

[1]julian@ref.tfs.com says:
[1]I BELIEVE this is fixed, they bumped the board-id code and we didn't
[1]recognise it (3 line fix).

[0]dealing with
[0]a WangDAT tape drive that under 2.0.5 won't let you remove the media until
[0]you reboot the system, OR you can issue a mt offline, remove the media, and
[0]then reboot to get the drive to load new media - that really stinks and
[0]didn't happen under SCO and I hope it is fixed in 2.1.0), I ran into a lot
[0]of application issues.

[1]julian@ref.tfs.com says:
[1]Are you saying that a
[1]mt -f /dev/nrst0 offline
[1]stops the tape from ever working again?

YES!  Once you do a mt offline, that is it!  END OF GAME!  You must
reboot or it won't even let you insert media in the drive.  The
drive refuses to load any new cartridges you stick in the door.  You
get one tape per boot.  Under SCO, this does not happen.

You said in a letter just before this that the way SCO handled tapes was
broken compared to FreeBSD, but I sure prefer the SCO feature of being able
to load more than one tape per system boot.... :-)

SCO lets you unload media once the dev is closed - that doesn't seem so
awful.  A lot of CD-ROM drives and other peripherals use the same rule.

Please see other mail on this subject that gives far more detail
on the WangDAT-FreeBSD strangeness....

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Fastest Route)| demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
...decvax!fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem         |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983