Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:08:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Kott <dakott@alpha.delta.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cannot rm a file, even as "root", under -stable

I am really perplexed.  I just cannot seem to delete the file /usr/chfn.
Here is a dialog of my embrassingly ignorant attempts:

root@kott [/usr/bin]# rm chfn
override r-sr-xr-x root/bin schg for chfn? y
rm: chfn: Operation not permitted
root@kott [/usr/bin]# chmod u+w chfn
chmod: chfn: Operation not permitted
root@kott [/usr/bin]# chown root:wheel chfn
chown: chfn: Operation not permitted
root@kott [/usr/bin]# whoami
root
root@kott [/usr/bin]# groups
wheel kmem sys tty operator bin staff guest
root@kott [/usr/bin]# mount | grep "/usr"
/dev/wd2s1e on /usr (local, noatime)
root@kott [/usr/bin]# lsof | grep chfn
root@kott [/usr/bin]#

Can someone.. anyone...give me, or perhaps lend me a clue on how to
remove this pesky file? I think I failed to renew my clue subscription...

I am running:

FreeBSD FreeBSD 2.2.6-BETA #0: Sun Mar 22 22:44:22 EST 1998

						Ignorantly yours,
							-d

    The Fourth Law of Programming:

    Anything that CAN go wrong wi
  /kernel: pid 128 (sendmail), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)