Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:36:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Kammerhofer <mkamm@utanet.at>
To:        Yoichi NAKAYAMA <yoichi@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        mkamm@gmx.net, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: about auctex port for FreeBSD

On 2002-01-27 Yoichi NAKAYAMA wrote:

: Dear auctex port's maintainer
:=20
[snip]
:=20
: My proposal is as follows:
:=20
: 1   Abolish xemacs support in print/auctex.

Personally I do not use xemacs and have not tested auctex with
xemacs. Since you told me that auctex is already part of the
standard xemacs lisp packages collection, I agree to terminate
support for xemacs in auctex.

: 2.0 Use bsd.emacs.mk.
: 2.1 Depend on emacs21 by default.

I agree.

: 2.2 Install to emacs' version specific directory
: 2.3 Add suffix for packages.
: 2.4 Add stub port for emacs20 as print/auctex-emacs20.
:     (simply set EMACS_PORT_NAME=3Demacs20 in its Makefile)

I do not see any benefits for the users. Afaik auctex (the lisp files
themselves) do not depend in any way on emacsen-version. If one package
fits all, why should the force users to install/upgrade different package=
for different emacsen?

: 3   Remove 2-byte chars from Makefile.
:=20

I do not understand what you mean by '2-byte chars'. If you are
suggesting to replace the broken-bars (=A6) with an ascii character
like semicolon (;) - well, I do not have any objections.

: No.2 in above is to arrange auctec port like other emacs lisp
: ports e.g. speedbar,ecb,tramp, etc.
:

I think uniformity of ports is not as important as ease of use. As I
pointed out above, the possibility of sharing one installed auctex packag=
among different emacs version is convenient for users.
=20
: Would you give me some comment or approval for my proposal, please?
:=20

Finally thank you for pointing out, that
 ".if exists(${LOCALBASE}/bin/xemacs)" is ineffective, because of
wrong placement inside the Makefile. If we drop xemacs support we do
not need this code fragment any more.

Best regards,
  Martin Kammerhofer