Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:24:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dan Baritchi <danb@server.iadfw.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        davidg@implode.root.com
Subject:   help installing the if_fxp driver (Intel PRO/100B Ethernet Adapter)

Hi,

Thanks for all the help so far.

Could anyone please give me some help with installing
a new driver I downloaded from the freebsd site? I am
running FreeBSD 2.1.

The driver is if_fxp, written for the Intel Pro/100B
card. I have been having a lot of trouble trying to
install it, and I haven't found any helpful guide
anywhere detailing which files to modify, or what exactly
to modify in them.
Maybe there is a tool for installing new drivers for FreeBSD 2.1?

Here is what I have done so far, although starting over
from the original versions is probably a better idea...
I have included the file/directory name, as well as a brief
description of what I did to it. Of course these were all
backed up first.

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NEWKERNEL :
  device fxp0

/usr/src/sys/pci/ :
I put both if_fxp.c and if_fxpreg.h in this directory

/usr/src/sys/i386/i386/conf.c :
I tried to add the driver to the system's jump tables,
but it didn't work out too well.
My new kernel won't compile -- it stops to give me a lot
of error messages about how I installed the new driver.

I would really appreciate any help, because I have not
seen any progress over the last couple of days, and being
a full time college student with a full time job doesn't
leave you with much free time to begin with. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Dan Baritchi
danb@airmail.net