Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:07:42 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com (George Hartzell), Andrew Boothman <A.J.Boothman@sms.ed.ac.uk>, Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>, Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

Darryl Okahata writes:
 > [...]
 >      I installed 5.0 with the booteasy MBR on my IBM laptop, and it
 > worked fine.  The problem I had was that *ANY* MBR-based boot program
 > interfered with IBM's special "product recovery" software, and so I
 > instead decided to just use Win2K/XP's boot mechanism to boot FreeBSD
 > (as I explained in my previous message).
 >
 > [ Yes, FreeBSD and XP (in my case) would still have worked if I kept
 >   booteasy, but I really wanted to keep IBM's product recovery software,
 >   and so I switched to using 2K/XP's method.  In hindsight, that's
 >   probably the best approach, as it doesn't require any MBR changes or
 >   boot floppies/CDs.  ]

What we're doing is almost the same thing.  In your case, your windows
partition is the active partition, so you run the vendor's MBR, which
jumps to the Windows loader, which jumps to whatever you choose.

   MBR  -->  NTLR  ---+--> FreeBSD

                      +--> Windows

I mark the partition that contains grub active (these days have a
freebsd world in my second slice/partition, with grub installed at the
beginning of that) and use it to jump wherever.

   MBR  -->  GRUB  ---+--> FreeBSD

                      +--> Windows

Only differences are which partition we mark active and what boot
loader lives there.

g.