Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:30:34 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: GEOM: ad10s1: geometry does not match label (255h, 63s != 16h,  63s).

On Mar 19, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Ed Schouten wrote:

> * Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com> wrote:
>> It means that the number of heads the disk reports it has is
>> not the same as the number of heads that sysinstall put in
>> the BSD disklabel. A mismatch for the number of heads is
>> generally speaking harmless, but the discrepancy is there
>> and it may be a problem in some cases. Hence the message.
>
> Is there a simple way to repair this?

bsdlabel -e -A $dev

Fix "tracks/cylinder" and recalculate "sectors/cylinder".
Based on "sectors/unit" and "sectors/cylinder", adjust
"cylinders" accordingly.

You want to boot from an alternate media for this.

I haven't decided how (if at all) this should be fixable
with gpart. A "recreate" verb could do the trick...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt@mac.com