Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 11:41:04 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN Questions

> Hmmm, but when you use 115.200 bps on the serial port, it can do 11.5
> kbytes per second, even when the serial interface is asynchronous (10 Bits
> per byte). And ISDN can only do 8 kBytes per second, assuming you don't use
> channel bundling or V.42bis compression or the like. So you don't loose any
> throughput when you run an external ISDN adaptor over an async serial line.
> All you need is a serial line that is faster than ISDN, then you get the
> full troughput.

     Well, if your ISP supports it, and you've got the money, there's
always an Ascend Pipeline 50, which is basically an Ethernet<-->ISDN
router.  It's basically a LAN router that works over ISDN.  To get it
to work with FreeBSD, all you need is any FreeBSD-supported LAN card;
when you try to access a remote system (via ftp, telnet, http, etc.),
the Pipeline 50 automatically connects via ISDN to your ISP and starts
routing packets appropriately.  Best of all, you don't have to worry
about FreeBSD interrupt/driver issues (aside from TCP/IP routing), and
more than one system on your LAN can use it, unlike the dedicated "ISDN
modems" that connect to a serial port.  As you're using your LAN card,
getting full bandwidth out of 2B channels is trivial.

     However, with a street price of around US$1250, it's a bit
expensive.  For more information, see (scroll down to the section on
"Pipeline Product Family"):

	http://www.ascend.com/products/prodindex.html

I've got no connections with Ascend, except as a user.

[ Note: the Ascend Pipeline 25 might be a significantly cheaper
  solution (as opposed to the Pipeline 50), but I don't know, as I've
  never used it. ]

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.