Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:46:07 -0700
From:      Lamont Lucas <lamont@cluepon.com>
To:        Michael Conlen <meconlen@obfuscated.net>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sbwait state for loaded Apache server

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 12:49:08PM -0400, Michael Conlen wrote:
> I'm working with an Apache webserver running 1400 apache processes and
> the system pusing somewhere in the area of 50-60Mbit/sec sustained. The
> system seems to top out around 60Mbit/sec and I see some minor
> degradation of server response times.

I did a lan only test of an apache install on a stock 4.8-stable
box recently.  With no extra tuning being done to the network
stack or similar, I maxed out at about 60Mbit/sec originally,
but after recompiling the kernel with:

options         ACCEPT_FILTER_DATA
options         ACCEPT_FILTER_HTTP
options         NMBCLUSTERS=32768

and recompiling apache with HARD_SERVER_LIMIT=2048, SO_ACCEPTFILTER
and BUFFERED_LOGS, I pushed that to 83Mbit/s and an average of 1310
requests per second (using our actual website data and replaying
a day's worth of logs in fast forward)  (oh, and apache 1.3.27)

The machine in question is a dual cpu 2.4ghz SuperMicro 6013P-8
with 2 gigs of ram.  I turned hyperthreading off earlier but when
I get around to doing real tuning in earnest I'll experiment with
it off and on.

Oh, and when you make /usr/ports/www/apache13, set the env
variable WITH_APACHE_PERF_TUNING and a higher hard server limit.

So my highly unscientific advice to  you is to check out the
ACCEPT_FILTER options and recompile apache to take advantage of them.

--
 - Lamont
"I am not an atomic playboy."