Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:42:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "JULIAN Elischer" <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, jerry@border.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, bsdi-users@BSDI.COM
Subject:   Re: Multisession CD-R

> > To the best of my knowledge, FreeBSD doesn't support reading
> > multivolume CDs yet.  I've recently made one, but failed to read the
> > second session on either FreeBSD or MS Winglows (95, FWIW).
> >
> > There's an urgent demand for it however, and i'm personally interested
> > in getting this work.
When I wrote the cdrom driver I thought about reading the first few
entries in the TOC  and trying to map them into the pretend disklabel
that I fabricate.. it wouldn't be hard, except that there are only
8 entries in the disklabel.

> One of the Japanese engineers on the list posted about getting this
> to work about a year ago.
>
> If I remember correctly, he also read audio format CD's as data, so
> you could eliminate the DAAD conversion.
>
> The full multisession spec, including their Unicode extensions, is
> available on the Microsoft Windows95 DDK CD.  From what I remember,
> multiple sessions are *required* for Unicode encoding.

Better of course to NOT use a uSoft version
because they keep extending hte specs this way or that
without always making it obvious that it's an extension.