Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:15:37 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv - Xfree86 3.3.3.x - and ".. using Ximages"

Thomas David Rivers:
 | That was it!   Thanks...
 |
 | Now - I have another problem... previously, when I clicked on the image,
 |it would reset my X server and become "full screen".  Now it doesn't,
 |but it selects a video mode that is about 1/3 screen size.  Also, it
 |seems to have some banding (that is, part of the image isn't quite
 |correct, filled with verticle black bands.)
 |
 | I'm guessing I haven't got some mode defined in my X server that needs
 |to be there...  but, I thought I would mention it.

Yep, that's it.  Fxtv switches down to the closest mode it can find that's
just-as-big or bigger than the full-size video image (640x480 for NTSC
folks).  You probably don't have 640x480 defined, but 800x600 or 1024x768
is, so it's using that.

Now my guess is that the strange banding is due to a bug in fxtv where it
sometimes tries to set the viewport of the virtual desktop to an invalid
value.  Xfree86 doesn't properly sanity check this and does strange things
like switch to video memory that isn't even being used for XServer display.

The fix to the latter is in a patch I posted to the list earlier today with
a Subject: of "Re: fxtv".  You might grab it and give it a shot.  I'd be
interested as to whether your banding goes away.

Randall