Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:28:58 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@chrome.onramp.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building and World Order

Folks,

So I just installed and booted a 2.1.0-950726-SNAP over here.
It worked great!  (Thanks, Jordan!)

Then, I sup'ed in a -current and slammed it down on /usr/src.
Worked great!

So, naturally, I wanted to build it all...  Went searching for
the FAQ and all, and the closest I came was to this paragraph from
current-policy.FAQ:

    4.  Before compiling current, read the Makefile in /usr/src
        carefully.  You'll see one-time targets like `bootstrapld'
        which *MUST* be run as part of the upgrading process.  Reading
        freebsd-hackers will keep you up-to-date on other bootstrapping
        procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move towards
        the next release.

I couldn't find a 'bootstrapld' target, so I just 'make world'ed.
Seems to be humming along nicely (still).  (After I moved it all to
a bigger partition. :-)

So, where do I go from here?  What are the valid (and pertinent) make
targets?  Is 'install' up next?  I don't see the semi-traditional
'clean' and 'realclean', just 'cleandist'.

Will all of my local utilities get updated to be the utilities that
I just build at some point?  Do I even want or need to do this step
in order to run the -current kernel I just built?

Also, when I sup in a new update, how much of the world will I need
to rebuild?  Do I need to start at /usr/src and make 'world' again?

I hope I don't have to do all the 'world' again for a while...
I should be able to build kernels in isolation now, right?

Thanks,
jdl