Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 03:25:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        krebs@faps.uni-erlangen.de (Thomas Krebs)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: RAM parity error??

> Hi,
> since FreeBSD 2.0 my machine often crashes with "RAM parity error..."
> In 1.1.5.1 I never had this problem, nor do I have it with dos.
> I tried lots of hardware testing utilities (under dos) but none of them
> could reliable report problems.

Doesn't suprise me.  Generally speaking, software based diagnostics for
DOS suck.

> My questions:
> Is the "RAM parity error" in FreeBSD 2.0 (2.0-950322-SNAP) reliable?

I would guess that message comes from your BIOS, and not from FreeBSD -
but I could be mistaken.  I would think that if FreeBSD detected an
error of this sort, it'd force a panic.

> Do you know of a real(!) good hardware (memory) testing utility, maybe under
> dos?

The only decent memory testers I've seen are dedicated SIMM testers -
they are not cheap, and even so they don't detect all problems.

Check your "CMOS setup" against the manufacturer's recommended settings.
You might also try swapping out some of RAM to try and isolate the
problem.