Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 05:23:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD audio: jitter correction?

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post questions like this.

As you might know, I have written a program for FreeBSD that
reads digital audio via the SCSI bus.  So far I haven't
bothered to implement any jitter correction, because it works
perfectly well without j.c. with all three drives which I'm
able to test it with (a NEC and a Toshiba CD-ROM drive, and a
Philips/IMS CD writer).

Now my question is:  How important is jitter correction?
Do only older drives need it?  Or am I just lucky that my
drives work without?

By the way:  would it be appropriate to make the program a
FreeBSD package, or would that not be worth the effort?  I'm
a bit hesitant since I've never done that before, but a tool
to read CD digital audio seems to be missing in the FreeBSD
ports/packages collection so far.

If anyone is interested in the program, it's available from
this web page:  http://www.heim3.tu-clausthal.de/~olli/tosha/

Best regards
   Oliver Fromme

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany