Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 18:12:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john <johnnye@focker.2y.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help recovering disklabel/slices, wiped out two blocks

First let me tell you how I got this problem.  I was excited about getting my jaz drive hooked up so I could now do weekly backups.  I was following the handbook's guide to setting up a tape drive and made a small typo.  Instead of "dd if=/dev/zero of-/dev/da0 count=2",  I did:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0 count=2

Nothing happened immediately, I realized my mistake and got my jaz drive working.  I think I remember copying my home slice just to check out the write speed, so thats good.  But then I rebooted and got the good ol' "NON SYSTEM DISK REINSERT AND PRESS ENTER" as if the master boot record was gone.  First thing I did was used sysinstall from the floppies to check out fdisk, everything was gone!  No partitions/slices to be found anywhere, so I exited, no changes.  Next I tried the fixit disk to see what that told me, and in devices it only showed /mnt/dev/ad0 for disk drives.  So thats where I left off, decided to get some more help before screwing anything else up.

I checked out the manpages for disklabel, and it seems like thats what I need to re-create the slices, but I also found out that I need to know the exact geometry of my slices before.  Is there a backup somewhere on the disk?  I think someone in 1999 created a c program to get the geometries, but I cant find that.  Someone else recommend hex editing, which I know nothing about.  And lastly someone also mentioned super blocks having backups.  The install was standard, I let freebsd take over my disk, but I did not take the default slices because I made a 10 gig slice for data, which is what I didnt backup yet :(

Any help is greatly appreciated,

/~John Eisenhower