Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 99 13:24 +0100
From:      justin@csad.coventry.ac.uk
To:        Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.coventry.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: X server has "too many" colors?

> On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Stan Brown wrote:
>
> >     I am trying to run a vendor supplied X task displaying on my FreeBSD
> >     machine. My FreeBSD machine is configured for 64K colors. The app keeps
> >     core dumping :-(
>

> You could try running the app under an Xnest server with 8-bit color.

from Xnest(1):
       -class string
           This option specifies the default visual class of  the
           nested  server.   It is similar to the -cc option from
           the set of standard options except that it will accept
           a  string  rather  than  a number for the visual class
           specification.  The string must be one of the  follow-
           ing  six  values:  StaticGray, GrayScale, StaticColor,
           PseudoColor,  TrueColor,  or  DirectColor.  [...]  The
           class  of the default visual of the nested server need
           not be the same as the class of the default visual  of
           the  real  server; although, it has to be supported by
           the real server.

      -depth int
           This option specifies the default visual depth of  the
           nested server.  The depth of the default visual of the
           nested server need not be the same as the depth of the
           default visual of the real server; although, it has to
           be supported by the real server.

I've not tried Xnest.

If the manual entries are correct, if your Xserver can't do it then
Xnest can't do it. If your X server provided a visual of the correct
type, only the VERY badly written software would fail.