Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 18:01:03 -0500
From:      dmaddox@scsn.net (Donald J. Maddox)
To:        Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk
Cc:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting an AWE64PNP to work

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Bond, Jeffery wrote:

> I'm sure somebody must have tried this before, so I thought I'd ask before I
> start digging in my kernel config:
>
> Has anybody got an AWE64 plug and pray card to work with FreeBSD (2.2.2)?
> It's the plug and play bit that worries me, because I have to run some dodge
> DOS utililty (CTCM.EXE) to configure the card before DOS games can see it.
> Will FreeBSD realise that it's PNP and configure it automatically?

I'm using my AWE64G under -current, but it should work just fine for you,
if you install Luigi Rizzo's PnP code (See http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/).

After you build a patched kernel, boot with -c to bring up the configuration
screen, then enter:

# pnp 1 0 os enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port1 0x330 port2 0x388
# pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x208
# pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x620 port1 0xa20 port2 0xe20

Line 1 configure sb, sbmidi, and opl; line 2 configures the gameport; line
3 configures the AWE synth.

You should also look at Randall Hopper's homepage, as he has done a lot of
work on AWE support, and created a number of very nice ports that support
AWE cards:

                http://multiverse.com/~rhh/