Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 11:01:37 +0800
From:      FENG Peirong <pfeng@krdl.org.sg>
To:        gregory.hosler@eno.ericsson.se
Cc:        AIC7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed!

Gregory Hosler wrote:

> On 04-Jul-00 Feng Peirong wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for your detailed information. And I don't know that only
> > 2 of 3 connectors can be used at the same time. Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Now I've already removed the internal 68 pin cable and the hard
> > disk ST318436LW, only remain the ST34501N over the 50 pin cable
> > with TE and TP on. The other end of the cable is the 50 pin ->
> > 68 pin external port, which is connected with a Yamaha CRW4260
> > CD-R writer with terminated switch ON. The problem remains!
> >
> > After disconnecting the external Yamaha CRW4260 and reboot, the
> > problem still remains!!
>
> try to isolate the problem. for example, use only the main (bootable)
> disk - remove the secondary disk, the cdrom, unplug the 2nd scsi connector.
> make sure there is only one, properly terminated, device on that scsi
> channel.
>
> does the corruption happen ? if yes, I'd beging looking at ram, cpu,
> and other issues.

This is what I am doing, see the description above. Now I only left one
SCSI drive in system, no secondary SCSI drive, no SCSI CDROM. But when
computing md5sum of a redhat ISO file, the result digest always changes.

To make it more clear to you, I'd better describe my current system:
	1. Redhat 6.2 on IDE disk - /dev/hda
	   on IDE disk, the md5sum is always correct.
	2. Windows 2000 Professional on SCSI disk - /dev/sda
           the file system on /dev/sda1 is FAT, where I held the md5sum
           SCSI test under Linux.

When I boot the system using Windows 2000 and compute the md5sum of the
ISO file on C: (after copy the ISO file again), the result is correct.

> how new is the system ? was it working before ? what was the configuration
> when it was working before (and specifically what changes were made) ?

This is the first time I install Linux on this machine, which is bought
in 1998. I expanded the memory to 256M and one more SCSI disk, then one
more IDE disk after the md5sum test on SCSI disk failed under Linux.

What I am wondering is that why the md5sum test on IDE disk under Linux
and on SCSI disk under Windows 2000 are OK, but the test on SCSI disk
under Linux fails.

Peirong