Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 07:46:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange EMACS / BASH2 occurrence

Don Wilde wrote:

> I had a strange thing happen to me a little while ago on my P6
> webserver. I use the new BASH2 shell from the 2.2.2 CD, and the EMACS
> (19.34?) that comes on the same CD, and something strange happened to
> me. I do have the X libraries installed, and I've been running fine
> (console mode, no X), but I got trapped in a wierd command history
> buffer mode and couldn't get out except with the ALT-F-key terminals. I
> could scroll back in a sort of 'history buffer' that included several
> EMACS sessions (as though screen captures) and a number of commands at
> the shell level, but I couldn't for the life of me get out. Can't
> reproduce it, don't want to, just want to know what NOT to do, as I
> almost lost mucho work... Thank you, #*#!!!
>       Anybody seen this? TIA!

Were you on one of the console virtual terminals?  If so, you probably hit
the SCROLL LOCK key, which takes the virtual terminal out of input mode
and into a history-scrolling mode.   Hitting SCROLL LOCK again toggles back
to input mode.

Try it; see if it matches what you experienced.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of
every organism to live beyond its income.
        -- Samuel Butler