Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:19:19 -0700
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD problem: $50 reward.

[Folks that submitted suggestions are bcc'ed]

Below is additional information that has been requested:

Neither setting the drive in the BIOS to "AUTO", nor "LBA", nor "LARGE"
makes any difference.

The BIOS sees 1027 cylinders, 225 heads, 63 sectors, which is exactly
what fdisk is seeing.

With all of the above cases, the settings for cylinders, heads, etc.
remain grayed out. I am unable to change any of those settings.

The motherboard has 4 IDE connectors: primary and secondary IDE and two
Promise RAID IDE connectors. The HD is connected to the primary IDE
connector via an UDMA 100 cable. The drive is only IDE device on the
system.

When the drive is jumpered as MASTER, the BIOS fails to detect the
drive. The BIOS will detected the drive when the drive is without
jumpers. The drive has no jumpers that would allow me to reduce the
size. (Nobody would buy a 120GB drive just so they can jumper it down to
8.4GB :)

One potential hint might be that right after POST, the MBfast Track
(Promise Technologies) RAID manager starts up. It goes through a drive
seek phase, when it can't find any RAID drives, I have to hit Escape out
of the RAID manager. If there is a way to disable the RAID manager,
preventing it from trying to find drives in the first place, I have yet
to figure it out and it is not mentioned in the motherboard manual.

Thanks,
--Lucky