Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:36:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.1 Panic on degraded disk w/mpt

More info...

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Scott Long wrote:

> Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> (posted on -stable already, no takers - added info: full dmesg, crash info
>> from panic when array finished rebuilding, some comments on dmesg)
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I dug around and can't find a PR on this, and the only other report I saw
>> was in this mailing list post that has no replies:
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/7.1-BETA2-panic-on-mpt-degrade-td20183173.html
>>
>> The hardware is a Dell PowerEdge 860 with the Dell/LSI SAS5 controller:
>>
>> mpt0: <LSILogic SAS/SATA Adapter> port 0xec00-0xecff mem
>> 0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff,0xfe9e0000-0xfe9effff irq 16 at device 8.0 on pci2
>> mpt0: MPI Version=1.5.13.0
>>
>> The panic is repeatable by forcing the array into a degraded state.  When
>> the array finishes rebuilding, the box also panics.
>>
>> Here's my best shot at getting info out of kgdb (panic on array going to
>> degraded state):
>
> I wonder if the MPT card is temporarily detaching and then reattaching
> the logical drive when the rebuild completes.  The info you posted is
> inconclusive here.

I was able to get it to panic again, and grabbed a picture of the console
that includes the output just before the panic.

It does appear the device goes away:

mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x16
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x12
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x16
(mpt0:vol0:1): Physical Disk Status Changed
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x15
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x21
(mpt0:vol0:1): Physical Disk Status Changed
mpt0:vol0(mpt0:0:0): Volume Status Changed
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x15
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x21
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x15
mpt0: mpt_cam_event: 0x21
mpt0:vol0(mpt0:0:0): RAID-1 - Degraded
mpt0:vol0(mpt0:0:0): Status ( Enabled )
(mpt0:vol0:1): No longer configured

Fatal Trap 12.... blah blah blah

Is that information of any use?  Does "No longer configured" = device
detached?

Thanks,

Charles