Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:18:31 +0100
From:      Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: apache-2.0.28_4

* Brett Glass (brett@lariat.org) wrote:

> At 08:54 PM 4/8/2002, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > Uhm.. try updating your ports tree?  It was committed 20 hours ago.
>
> Interesting.
>
> The FreeBSD Web site still says that the latest port is 2.0.28_4. See
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=Apache&stype=all.

The INDEX file that's based on is always horribly out of date.  Try
http://www.freshports.org/, which lists:

apache2 2.0.35 www

Version 2 of the extremely popular Apache http server
Maintained by: perky@fallin.lv Description : Changes : Download Port :
Homepage

And tracks each cvs commit to the ports tree.  That is, if you don't
want to track -STABLE properly and keep an eye on -stable/-ports (and
the cvs commits list if you're really serious).

> (BTW, we don't keep the ports on our machines because they take up a
> great deal of disk space and become obsolete almost instantly.

The ports tree is about 60-70MB.  I'm sure you can spare that much space
on at least one machine.

> Our production servers don't run CVSup to avoid instability.

cvsup is unstable?  Since when?  I'm sure sticking with Apache 2.0.28_4
for months longer than you need to (.31 has been out for ages, never
mind .35 :)  is more unstable than having a recent checkout of the ports
tree on at least one machine so you can build packages yourself.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst  -  freaky@aagh.net  -  http://www.aagh.net/
-