Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 04:21:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sc0 scrollback flaw

In reply:
> >hmmm...  i just rebuilt using the SC_HISTORY_SIZE option for sc [good
> >idea, it was always a pain in the ass hacking up syscons.h to do this].
> >
> >there seems to be an undesireable new behavior for the sc scrollback
> >facility..
> >
> >one of the functions in my .login is a `clear` to clear the console
> >when i log in.  this seems to erase the entire scrollback buffer.  the
> >old behavior was to ignore screen clears in the buffer.
>
> ? My current box donsn't have this problem. The history buffer is
> intact after `clear'...
>
> >i'm still running the Dec. 2 version of -current, but will be
> >cvsupping the latest in a few minutes...  i can take a look at
> >syscons.c, and see if i can find where this is happening...
>
> I did add SC_HISTORY_SIZE stuff to syscons.c. But, I never touched
> screen clearing part of the code, because SC_HISTORY_SIZE affects the
> driver only when the history buffer is allocated, which happens a) if
> the virtual console is opened for the first time, b) if the user runs
> `kbdcontrol -h lines' to set the history buffer size, c) or if the
> screen size is changed by `vidcontrol VGA_xxx'.
>
> I'm puzzled.

hmmm...  just remembering, i do change the screen dimensions to 80x60,
but that is beside the point, as even asfter the switch, i still
retained the kernel boot messages before, and now everything prior to
login now is lost...

my .login is enclosed...  btw: i guess i don't do a clear, and the
mode change does it..  note that clear is commented...  sorry...

-----------------------
#	$Id: dot.login,v 1.5 1994/06/15 22:58:47 jkh Exp $
#
umask 022

setenv TTY `/usr/bin/tty`
setenv LS -G

tset -Q \?$TERM

if ("$TERM" == "cons60") then

    stty crt erase ^h

    /usr/sbin/kbdcontrol -r fast
    /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -t 300 cyan black
    /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f 8x8 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp437-thin-8x8.fnt
    /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f 8x14 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp437-8x14.fnt
    /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -f 8x16 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/cp437-thin-8x16.fnt
    /usr/sbin/vidcontrol VGA_80x60
    /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -c destructive

    stty rows 60

endif

if ("$TERM" == "vt420") then

    stty `cat .tty`
    stty rows 48 cols 132 erase ^\?
    unsetenv LS
    setenv LS

endif

#clear
echo ' '
cat /etc/motd.bill
echo ' '
/usr/games/fortune -a limerick startrek
echo ' '

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or