Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:06:04 +0200
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, nturki@adelphia.net
Subject:   Re: Limiting closed port RST response

Nader Turki wrote:,

> Mar 30 18:43:03 shell /kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from
> 2014 to 200 packets per second

Sombody sends a hell of packages to your IP.
Someone spoof an IP and might user your serve rto bounce the packages
against someone else.

> Mar 30 20:56:03 shell /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode enabled
> Mar 30 20:56:42 shell /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode disabled
> Mar 30 20:56:42 shell /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode enabled
> Mar 30 20:57:03 shell /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode disabled
> Mar 30 20:58:42 shell /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode enabled
> Mar 30 20:58:42 shell /kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode disabled

Did you use tcpdump or ngrep?

> the isp is telling me that it's going out of the machine. nobody got
> root but me and even after i killed all the procs. it kept doing the
> same thing.

Please watch your network, your box could be exploited.
Take it offline and find out what it do.

Active a Packet-Firewall to filter this at least.

look into /etc/rc.firewall
then activate the option fits best.

To watach what is happeing, call "init 1"
and run tcpdump from your consolse.

Processes may be hiding, but in siggle-user mode you
are more safer against a installed "rootkit"

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany