Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:55:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "James R. Van Artsalen" <james@jrv.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD amd64 List <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP support and Tyan S288X boards

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, James R. Van Artsalen wrote:

> The industrial control crowd still uses ISA cards.  You can look for
> companies that serve that market, and expect to pay a premium.

Sure, but will they ever be running FreeBSD/amd64 while using ISA
cards?  :-)

I'm thinking that ISA slots will be so exceedingly rare on AMD64
systems from now until the end of time that putting the drivers for
things like ISA NICs and SCSI controllers into the amd64 GENERIC
kernel is unnecessary.

> The system chipset will need some support for ISA to work well due
> to differences in interrupt behavior.  There is other hair too I
> can't remember offhand.  I don't know if the designers of any of the
> amd64 chipsets built in considerations for ISA.

Yes, I realize that support for the ISA bus is still currently
required even with no ISA slots.

--
  Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
  FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?