Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:09:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris A. Mattingly" <camattin@camattin.com>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: awk woes

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Mike Barcroft wrote:

> Chris A. Mattingly <camattin@camattin.com> writes:
> > Problem 1:
> >
> > When running php's configure, awk core dumps several times.  I've yet to
> > determine exactly where the core dumps are occurring, though.  Four of
> > them occur during the configure; but the configure seems to complete OK.
>
> Enable debugging symbols in awk and get a traceback.

Will do (after the current build finishes ... see below).

> > Problem 2:
> >
> > Compiling main/main.c I get the following errors:
> > main.c: In function `php_disable_functions':
> > main.c:157: warning: initialization makes pointer from integer without a
> > cast
> > main.c:161: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
> > main.c:164: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
> >
> > The relevant lines from main.c are:
> >
> > 154: static void php_disable_functions(TSRMLS_D)
> > 155: {
> > 156:        char *func;
> > 157:        char *new_value_dup = strdup(INI_STR("disable_functions"));
> > xxx: snip comments
> > 161:        func = strtok(new_value_dup, ", ");
> > 162:        while (func) {
> > 163:                zend_disable_function(func, strlen(func) TSRMLS_CC);
> > 164:                func = strtok(NULL, ", ");
> > 165:        }
> > 166: }
>
> These warnings are indicative of a missing header include.  Is
> <string.h> being included?
>
> It's doubtful this is really your problem.  Is there any other output
> from the compiler?

It did boil down to <string.h> not being included.  And in another file,
<pwd.h> didn't get included.  And in another, <sys/socket.h> didn't get
included.

> > No other OS's seem to complain about this, so why is freebsd?
>
> Perhaps compiler diagnostics aren't enabled on those systems.

Solaris was just being more cooperative.

I thought the issue with the missing include files might have been related
to the awk failures and therefore configure not outputting the right
stuff.  But after the right incantination of configure, it managed to
finally build, install, and function properly.

-Chris