Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2013 04:22:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

> At the beginning of the thread, I used the gcc developer list as an
> actual example.  If anyone posst an inappropriate topic to the list, it
> may get answered, but it will always get a "this is not appropriate for
> this list, please don't do it again, use the XXXX list for this next
> time."  I can imagine it's a slight put-off for brand new users but it
> is effective.  People make a mistake once, and after that they do the
> right thing.  Since they are publicly corrected, you can imagine they
> educate dozens of people *before* they can make the same mistake.

> So I'm talking about policing the list consistently.

> > If you don't feel up to taking on that role, then maybe unsubscribing is
> > the way to go, though I hope its not as you have a lot of value to add.

> I had to try, but I suspected this thread would go the way of NetBSD
> (Much discussion, zero net effect) and so far it has.  I expect this
> topic to die down soon and I'll unsubscribe around new years eve, since
> two weeks seems to be the ports grace period. :)

> John

The GCC developer list was very gentle compared to Arch Linux lists.

I asked the question, is there a way to build or rebuild the Arch base system
from source code, as can be done with FreeBSD and NetBSD.  Moderator rejected
that post, saying I could find the answer in less than a minute in the wiki;
I still haven't.  When I asked for explanation, and if all Arch mailing lists
were so moderated, I got no answer or just garbage.  Rejected post was from last
May 8; I quickly became an infant mortality on the Arch mailing lists: rather
unsubscribe than be hopelessly tongue-tied.

I am also on some NetBSD lists (pkgsrc-users, port-i386, port-and64, netbsd-users,
current-users), and don't see how there is much discussion with zero net effect.

NetBSD is much less stable on my hardware than FreeBSD.  Reason for my recent
surge in interest was that re(4) works on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard in NetBSD
and Linux but not in FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD; I used downloadable
USB-stick images in the case of OpenBSD and DragonFlyBSD.  I was successful
building subversion on NetBSD-current amd64, and use that to checkout and update
src, doc and ports trees.

Tom