Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2005 03:07:30 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        sparc64@FreeBSD.org, kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: E4500 with 24GB RAM

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 03:40:28PM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote
>   in <20050610211239.GA59402@xor.obsecurity.org>:
>=20
> kr> I wonder if it's disk related.  I tried to check out a ports tree on
> kr> this machine and it hung in a few seconds (although this was also
> kr> checking out using the network via nfs).
>=20
>  I do not know why but the freeze occurs only when displaying "invalid
>  packet size xxx; dropping".  When I tried "vmstat 1" on the serial
>  console and fetching a large file via ftp at the same time
>  with 12GB RAM configuration, the freeze did not occur.
>  Once "hme0: too may errors; not reporting any more" is displayed,
>  the box seems to work fine and I can check out the ports tree via NFS
>  without problems.
>=20
>  I tried to comment out the HME_WHINE line of hme_read() in if_hme.c,
>  and it seems to make the box work fine so far.
>  Kris, could you try again?  I think this is not a disk problem.

Seems to be doing better (famous last words).

What's up with the hme0 whining anyway?  On all my boxes with hme
hardware it quickly reports errors and then hits the limit, which
suggests that either it's not a useful message to display, or there's
a problem in the driver.

Kris

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN--