Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:00:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        Frankie Li <notme@lvdi.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: samba uptime

I manage several Samba servers: a couple on Sun Ultra II's and a couple on
FreeBSD and Linux all managed with an NT PDC.

The FBSD boxes NEVER crash.  That is to say as soon as I moved Samba from a
machine with 64 MB to a machine with 256MB ram.  Samba on 3.1-RELEASE is as
steady as a rock.  On the 64MB machine I was getting core dumps on Samba
and amd, and never quite tracked down as to why.  The two machines were
built from the same sources, have identical mother boards and pretty much
the same config.. except the ram.... you see where I'm going.

Steady is not the word I would use for the Linux boxes running Samba....
even more ram can't keep these buggers up.  Solaris seems to deal with
Samba just fine.

Peace,
Blake