Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:23:31 +0100
From:      Frank Sonnemans <fs.mail@wanadoo.be>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is a good language for system administration?

I tried many languages and settled on a combination of shell programming
(zsh) and ruby. My experiences with some of the alternatives mentioned in
this thread are as follows:

perl: I did some usefull work with it, but had a horrible time with it
after not having used it for some months.

python: Much clearer syntax, but not fully object oriented with
incompatibilities moving into the 2.x series. I much disliked the
inconsistent syntax. It seems this has improved with the later versions. I
got bitten by things as calculating the length of a string, which in the
1.x series was a function and in the 2.x version became a method call. Also
the syntax for object oriented programming is ugly.

java: Much to difficult to learn and use. It takes concepts from the
excellent (20 years old) Smalltalk, patches it up with C and strong typing
to create an awkward to use language. I would argue use smalltalk instead.

ruby: Perl on steroids. Uses strengths of perl with elegance of smalltalk
and some parts of python. Has an very nice consistent syntax and lends
itself to writing clear maintainable programs. Fully object oriented, but
you can still throw together a simple program without creating any classes.